Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tattoos are like potato chips.

You can't have just one.

So, on June 7, I got two new ones!  

The one that took most of the day (around 4 1/2 hours) was the tree tattoo.  I have wanted a tree tattooed on my ribs for a long time.  I just couldn't nail down a design.  My artist and I went back and forth with some ideas, but the version I liked best was one I drew that was inspired by my favorite painting, Grey Tree by Piet Mondrian.

I LOVE it!  I am so happy with the way it turned out.


I always draw a star on my hand when I need to remember something, and I got so used to having a star there that I began to hate not having it there.  So after the tree was done, I had the star added to my hand.  I had gotten the spiral last year. It's a tibetan symbol meaning origin of the universe.  


I designed this piece for my husband and I.  The components added together mean eternal friendship. I got mine first.  Joe was supposed to get it in the same spot, but he chickened out and ended up getting it on the back of his calf instead.  I love him anyway. :)


This is my stylized version of a volleyball.  I fiercely love the sport.


This is a tiny little tattoo I had originally designed for my finger.  I ended up getting it on my back instead, after the artist (to whom I would not return) convinced me it would not look good on my finger.  I already have plans to cover it with something else.



And I'm not done yet...

4 comments:

RodInTheU.S.A. said...

Love the volleyball tattoo..
After getting my first tattoo in honor of my deceased father, I cant wait to get a new one and volleyball has been part of my life for so long (12 years playing seriously) that i really want to get something... and i am sure after i get my 2nd one i'll think of something else haha =)

Allie said...

Thanks! Yeah, I played volleyball in high school and college, and then for a few years after I graduated in indoor and beach leagues. My shoulder didn't hold up well and I had to stop playing. It killed me. But at least I will always have my volleyball on my foot!

Unknown said...

Allie...i love your tattoos! where did you get the idea for the eternal friendship design?

Anonymous said...

That volleyball tattoo is amazing. Hope you don't mind having a twin! Totally going to get something similar