Thursday, July 10, 2008

New York, NY

I really like train stations. I love watching people come and go. I really love watching someone juuust catch a train before the doors close. I like the bumps on the deck.



And I am thoroughly amused by the three zillion signs everywhere that say this:



I am too easily amused.

You already know we caught a train in to see Rent. After Rent, we wandered our way over to Times Square. We checked out the Hershey Store (Mr. Goodbars are cheaper here than at Stop & Shop. Amazing!).



Found one of the sparkliest subway signs ever.



Dodged taxis as I (unsuccessfully) tried to get a shot I was happy with.



Passed the Roxy.



Saw some shiny objects.



Walked under a giant guitar.



Joe tried on a hat.



I tortured Joe into a picture.  Look how thrilled he is!



Then, I decided, well, I'M certainly not using MINE....



As we approached the witching hour, the city that never sleeps, started to. The tourists thinned out. The local teens took over the corners. Stores closed?

Hm.

We weren't dressed for the bars in Times Square, nor were we willing to pay eleventeen dollars for a drink for Joe and almost as much for a shirley temple for me. So we went to our hotel, grabbing on the way a slice of pizza for Joe, and some barbecued chicken for me. As Joe marveled at the view from our room (picture the side of any tall building) I marveled at the fact that this was first time I was going to sleep in Manhattan; certainly my favorite local city, and one I had visited many times. I guess when you live so close, and you have friends in Queens, you don't really need to stay in the thick of things.

I fell asleep excited, as I always do on the night before my birthday. I was a little kid, New York was my candy shop.

No comments: