Thursday, September 30, 2010

Perhaps she should examine her choices.

I am a goldsmith. I use flexible shaft rotary tools all the time at work and if I had a nickel for every time someone told me they felt like they were at the dentist, I could could put my tools down and never work again.

Generally people make these dentist remarks while I am actively using my flex shaft. Here. I will re-enact it for you.



Me: (working) whiiiz whiizzzzzz whirrrrr whiiz weeeee

Customer: "I feel like I'm at the dentist!"

Me: (enter witty/exasperated comment here, something to the effect of my wishing my dentist gave me jewelry instead of fillings)



See how that makes sense? The noise reminds them, not surprisingly, of the noises one might hear in the dentist's chair, and they make a fitting comment, in appropriate context.

Today was different.

Today I was building a ring from scratch and soldering together several of the small pieces that would make up the gallery.

Soldering. With a torch. And fire. A torch that shoots fire, if you will.

While I was soldering, the woman said, much to my surprise, "It's just like at the dentist!"

I laughed out loud before donning my I-am-in-the-customer-service-industry-and-will-most-likely-be-very-nice-to-you-regardless-of-the-batshit-crazy-things-you-say face and replying, "Yes, just like the dentist."

Hopefully that lady will find my blog one day and realize this letter would have her name in capital letters at the top, if only I had caught it.


Dear lady,

You need to find a new dentist.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Goldsmith,

Allie

No comments: