Friday, July 16, 2010

Slap on the wrist

There. I just gave myself a slap on the wrist for you. My blogging lately has been lazy at best. My problem, if you were wondering, is that I always think of eloquent, witty posts at the wrong times. At work, in the car, in bed while I wait (for longer than I'd like) to fall asleep. I have great ideas for fun, funny and interesting posts, and I even begin to write them in my head. I think that surely I will remember these ideas and snippets of imagined writing the next time I make it to my laptop.

And then, my brain happens.

My brain is an interesting place. Lots goes on there, half of which I am sure I do not remember (and that is being generous). It's quite unfortunate really, especially when I am really excited to write something and then when I finally sit down to create, I remember only that I wanted to write, not what I wanted to write. Grumble grumble.

When I was a junior in high school, in my honors English class, I had the pleasure of listening to a guest speaker who made his living as a writer. I, not surprisingly, do not remember his name. What I do remember is a thing he said about carrying about a notebook wherever he went. That way, when those often fleeting moments of inspiration struck, he would get up out of bed or pull his car to the side of the road so he could write his brief moments of literary genius down. Capture those brilliant ideas and well-constructed lines, and save them to share later.

If I spent the last paragraph inflating a bright shiny balloon, here is where I pop it. I have no such notebook.

Sigh.

But I promise to start feeding parts of my brain into my phone to be called on when the time is right! Because I do enjoy writing, and I like to share my writing with you. So if you could just bear with me, I will try my best to get those blogs wheels turning on a more regular basis.

2 comments:

AmandaCakes said...

I have the same issue!!! I do in fact have a notebook, but most of the time I forget where I put it!!

The phone thing works for sure, I have "notes" section and it has multiple listings of websites I want to go to, or grocery lists, or things I want to cook/bake.

Hope it works out for ya!

Allie said...

Thanks!

I actually just got an app called Evernote for my phone and computer...it lets me take photos, record voice notes, jot down written notes, and capture web pages. I've only had it for a few days but I love it so far! You should check it out-I got it for my iPhone, but I'm pretty sure it's available for Blackberries, too. And it's free, which is awesome. I feel like I'm a commercial right now, lol, but it really is a cool program.